Friday, August 18, 2006

Five and Thirty

"It was the best of times.
It was the worst of times.
Any hidden meaning?"
"None except Happy Birthday Captain."
I'm still looking towards the future.
Today I can be president. I remember back in Civics when they taught us how old you had to be to run for various political offices. The House, twenty-five, The Senate, thirty and to be the President you had to be thirty-five. So today I can be the Commander in Chief.

Back then I thought it was absurd to be thirty-five to be the President. Today, I realize why you need to be at least thirty-five to run the country. A leader is made by forging the metal over and over again. Only time can achieve this. To lead effectively, you have to experience life.

As I look back at my life I don’t have any major regrets. I have been fortunate in my life to be able to do what I want. Teaching is what I love to do, no amount of money could take me away from this gig. I have so many friends that have great paying jobs, but they hate going to work. Being a teacher never seems like work to me. I am lucky to have my dream job at my age.

I can remember back to when I was telling my friends about my dream job. That one day was going to run a midi lab and teach music at a university. Most of them didn’t believe it was possible. Well, I did. And I made it happen with my hard work and dedication.

Right now I am in my most creative state. In the past few years I have written a novel, many one act plays and two full length plays, a couple of screenplays and about hundred songs. This is between my Sci-Fi movies and music videos that I make.

I get a chance, at less once a week, to rock out with my songs. Some of my friends in bigger cities don’t have an opportunity to play their new material. Funny here in East Texas, it’s not a problem to find an open mike or get a small gig.

Back in High School one of my great friend was listening to me talk smack about what I was going to do in my life. He said, “Herb, you had better do something big in your life since you are always talking big.”

Well amigo, I guess that I have. So far I have had over 700,000 download of “I’m a Nerd”. My music has been heard around the world. I have been on national TV in both in America and Canada. A few months back I was on a William Shatner documentary. The local News also knows who the star is since I’m on there at least once a year. And if you type my name into Google, I’m number one baby!

If I had a crystal ball back in High School and saw all of the crazy stuff that I have done and been, I would’ve believe it!

Right now I am in the best shape of my life. I can’t believe that I can run five miles in a row! I can do one hundred push-ups in a row! And I truly feel stronger and faster than ever in my life.

This summer I got to travel the world. On my journey I learned so much about the world and myself. I realized that East Texas is the best place in the world and I’m lucky to live here. I’m so East Texas, where else can you get some good catfish?

I am so blessed to have my family. They supported me in all of my decisions. It makes my life easier to know that if I need help, I can always turn to them.

I also have some great friends. My homeboys for life. With the internet, I can talk to them via email or voip. And they all love going to my blog and seeing my crazy adventures. They all get a great laugh when they find out I have met someone famous, that I was on TV or that I have made a new movie or music video.

Only Nixon could go to China. Well only Herbert could do what he has done.

So at this point in my life, I am truly blessed. Herbert Midgley was put on this planet to rock the world and make as many creative works as he can. It’s not over yet. No way!

I want to talk about turning thirty-five. So I’m going to take two different approaches to being thirty-five. By using heroes that you all know as examples.

Batman started to fight crime at twenty-five and fought as ‘The Caped Crusader’ ten years until his body could not fight anymore. By this time, Batman had made Gotham relativity safe. And he could retire.

Captain James Tiberius Kirk took command of the U.S.S. Enterprise at thirty-five. This made him the youngest Starfleet Captain at the time. He had another four decades of adventure and saving humanity before he retired.

Well we can see that Batman’s career was over at thirty-five. Captain Kirk’s career only started at thirty-five. I am going Kirk’s route. There are too many things I want to do before I shuffle off this moral coil.

And by the way Harrison Ford was thirty-five when he first played Han Solo. I’m in good company. Could I be the next famous Sci-Fi actor?

At thirty-five I still have a lot to do. I have songs to write, another symphony in me, a lot more experimental electronic music, more novels, plays and screenplays to put on the page. Before my time is up, how many Sci-Fi movies will I make? How many movies will I act in? How many songs will I compose? How many music videos will I make? Only time will tell. And kiddos, it’s going to be fun!

Today my life begins, once again. Another chapter in my life book. And I can’t wait to see what else I’ll do. If only you could live that way that I live. What a dream that would be! And what a world that would be too!

Here is the song that I wrote at 10:30 this morning.
I hope you like it.
"My Life" Music Video
"My Life" mp3

This is the last song I wrote before I was Five and Thirty.
"Well Baby Thank You for Not Picking Me" (Music Video)
"Well Baby Thank You for Not Picking Me" (Live at Rita's)

And this is the live version of my favorite song I wrote this summer.
"Your Crime, My Crime" (Music Video)

All of my YouTube Videos

No comments:



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?