Sunday, February 29, 2004

Illegally parking in Front of the Music Building

I have noticed members of fraternal organizations not following the school policy as regard to parking. On a daily schedule I see students illegally parking in the faculty/staff areas on campus. I see practically every day students wearing Greek letter on their shirts, win breakers, jackets, etc. are opening breaking the parking regulations on campus. And when I asked them why they are illegally parking, I get responses like, "it’s raining", "I’m tired" or "I am being lazy today".

I thought that members of theses fraternal organizations would be of a higher caliber, especially when they are wearing their group’s identification on their clothes.

Members of the fraternal organizations are not the only students illegally parking. I see other students do it was well. But in the last few years, I have seen more fraternal organizations members break the rules about parking.

Maybe you don’t understand, but I pay for my parking pass. This means that I am allowed to park there, you as a student are not. It doesn’t matter if it is raining or that you are tired. You are not following the rules.

When I was in school, I parked in the commuter parking lot and walked to class. I did that when I was tired and during the rain. I have earned the right to park close to where I work. You as a student have not.

I know that there is a parking problem on campus, but that doesn’t give you the right to break the parking regulations. By going to school here, you are agreeing to follow the rules.

I know that some of you like to roll the dice and see if you get a ticket. Also if you are from a large city, you regularly pay $10 - $25 a day for parking. So if you get a ticket, that’s no big deal.

But it is a big deal to those of us that have worked hard to be here. It doesn’t matter that it is only $15 a ticket and that you can afford to pay it. What matters is that you are establishing habits that you will have for the rest of your life. Are you going to follow the rules or break them? I hope that you will follow them.

So please park only where you are suppose to. It is not fair to us following the rules and it is not fair to you.

Ok, I have to park to teach. That is why you are going to school, to learn, without me, you and your fellow students can't learn.

SO DON'T PARK IN FRONT OF THE MUSIC BUILDING!!!

If you do, you are responsible for me being late to teach my classes. So let me teach, walk to your class. And everyone is happy.



No comments:



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?