Sunday, July 31, 2022

Rediscovering What You Love

 Rediscovering What You Love


When I studied music composition as an undergraduate, I had a fire to create music. I wanted to compose symphonies, string quartets, piano sonatas, and film music. The only way I knew I could learn these skills was at university. Looking back, I am glad that I studied music in my youth. It takes so much time to learn the composition skills and tricks. There were many sleepless nights while earning my baccalaureate degree in music composition. Music would flow out of my fingers onto the manuscript page. Not only did I hear the music, but I could also feel the music as I wrote it on paper. 

Many years later, while working on my filmmaking degree, I had many opportunities to compose music for my and other director's films. Through music, I could often lift a scene that did not quite work. Once again, I would feel the music as I watched the images flow past my eyes. Sometimes I heard better music. At times, I heard nothing. Being a fast composer with many skills and tricks, I could always develop something. If I had more time, it would be better. However, if I had a day, I could compose something that would help the film. 

Composing music takes time. Making a film takes time. Anything creative takes time. Over the last few years, working on my academic research skills, I did not have the time to compose my usual output. Lately, I have had a bit more time and love making music. Once again, music is flowing out of me, and it is great. My old friend patiently waits for me to return to create sounds in my mind to write on paper. I am thankful for this ability. Of all my creative endeavors, music composition required the most time. Glad that I could develop these composition skills in my youth. 

If it has been a while for you to do something you love, make the time. Working hard to develop those skills happened for a reason. If it takes you a few years to regain your skills and technique, that is fine. Life is not a race. Enjoy the process. Create what you want. Love what you do. Increasing your skills in what you love will improve your life. 

Computed



No comments:



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?