Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Ten Years Ago, The Robot Film Came To Life

 Ten Years Ago, The Robot Film Came To Life

It is hard for me to imagine that the groundbreaking sci-fi feature film THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS started principal photography ten years ago. I knew this would be one of the most difficult challenges I have encountered in my life. That month of filming principal photography for THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS really showed what kind of a person I was. Making an independent film with few resources, a limited budget, and other difficulties are typical for any independent filmmaker. However, this was my opportunity to shoot a feature film that I wrote. Having the chance to shoot my feature film as a director is something not many aspiring filmmakers have the opportunity to achieve. I was going to enjoy and maximize every moment of this process.

Ten years later, there are many things that I would do differently with this film. Not because it is a bad film. It is not. THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS truly is the most amazing film ever made in East Texas. There will never be another film quite like THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS. That being said, knowing what I know now, this film would be better. I have grown as a filmmaker over the years. Learn more about what works and what does not. Over the last decade, I have focused on the craft of filmmaking daily. I work on screenplays every day and make video content on social media. I have improved as a filmmaker, director, editor, sound technician, lighting technician, screenwriter, and actor over the last ten years. I even was able to achieve the impossible of getting distribution on Amazon. It still makes me smile that you can search for ROBOT MONSTER or STAR WARS in the same search engine as THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS. THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS was one of the first indie films on there, and I am proud it is still there.

The most important lesson I learned from filming THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS was to dig deep and never give up. Many things in life, people, circumstances, funding, and many other things could have prevented me from making this film. I am not a quitter. I do not give up. I have been that type of person since I was a child. Having the intestinal fortitude to look adversity straight in the eye and say, “I am going to finish this.” This is something I wish I could share with others. Too many times in my life, I have seen people settle or give up when situations become difficult. Life is not easy. Life is special. I recommend maximizing this precious gift. Achieving the impossible, there is no other feeling quite like that. I believe that is one reason why I smile so much, because of the many times I have stared the impossible in the face and said, “I will make this happen.” And I always do.

I have not seen many of the people who worked on THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS since the end of principal photography. Over the last ten years, those outstanding individuals have found their own path in life. It would be fun to see everybody again. However, I know you cannot repeat a particular moment in time. So, thank you to all the crew, the extras, and the actors that helped create THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS. Hopefully, those memories and experiences are pleasant ones for you. Personally, working on THE RISE OF THE ROBOTS changed my life. Currently, I am in the process of working on another amazing life achievement. One that I never thought would happen. Happily, opportunity once again knocked on my door, and I answered it. Next year, it should be completed, and this current journey has also changed my life.

Ten years fly by so quickly. I am still making films and even won a few awards along the way. My journey is not over. I love the craft of filmmaking. I am so thankful to have the opportunity and tenacity to continue to make my films into reality. I hope your journey is as amazing as mine. That is up to you. Computed!

Ten Years Ago First Day Of Filming The Rise Of The Robots



No comments:



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?