Friday, September 22, 2006

The Last Open Mike Night At Rita's

Me rockin' out with my friends
at Rita's one last time.
A sad day on Thursday. Rita’s is closing down this Sunday, so this is the last Open Mike Night there.

For the last two and half years I have been going to Rita's to play at the Open Mike Night every Thursday. In the last few years I have missed I think about five Thursdays. I even one time took an earlier flight home so that I could get back to Nac in time to rock out at Open Mike Night.

In the last few years, I went from doing hundred percent covers to doing now about hundred percent originals. During my time playing every Thursday night, I have composed over a hundred original songs.

Of course the "I'm a Nerd" is the biggest hit. "Sweater Girl" is the next crowd favorite. “Your Crime, My Crime” is my favorite. Rita's was the place in Nac that you could play your own music and the audience would listen. People came because they cared about the music.

It was the East Texas’ CBGB’s. Over the last few years I have seen my friends get better at singing, playing and song writing. And so have I.

I don’t want to take the credit, but after I started to play my own material, others started to do their own music too. Maybe we all got tired of covers and wanted to rock out on our own stuff.

Most of my good friends I have met at Rita’s. That means that almost all of my friends are musicians. We are a different crowd, singer/songwriters see the world in an unusual light.

I can’t tell you how much I’m going to miss Rita’s. We have a strong community of singer/songwriters. We will find another place to rock out.

But you can never love another place quite the same way again. I hope that maybe there will be a return of Rita’s one day. And that the best Open Mike Night in the world will come back strong once again.

Until then, if you want to hear me, I’ll rock outside the Music Building at SFA. And you can also watch the sixty plus music videos of me on YouTube.

Rita’s, it’s been fun. I’ll miss you more than words.

I got to rocked out one last time at Rita's before they closed down. This is the last song I’ll ever play at Rita’s Open Mike Night, so I invited all those that love the Nerd song to come up to rock with me one last time at Rita's. Here is that last song. Enjoy and it was a magic moment in time….


I’m a Nerd




I'm a Nerd on googlevideo if you want to download it.

Photos of that Night.

Goodbye Rita's
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments:



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?