Monday, January 30, 2006

Monday Night of Originals

Me playing my songs on a nice day
There are so many talented musicians here in East Texas. I feel really lucky to be friends and know so many of them. Most of them I have met at the various open mike nights in town.

For a while I have wanted to have a night where the singer/songwriter could perform their work every week for their peers and fans of new music. A night of no covers. Rita's is going to help me do that.

The last few Monday nights, I have hosted "Monday Night of Originals" at Rita's. The first week I played and so did Passenger Airbag. The next week there were nine singer/songwriters that performed! This Monday, who knows how many will stop by.

Rita's is to me what CBGB'S meant to the early Punk bands that lived in New York back in the 70's. It is place where anyone can play no matter how good or bad you are. I have seen many performers improve greatly over the last few years. And this is due to the fact that they have a place to perform and craft their skills. A great performer doesn't happen over night. Time and hard work are required if you want to rock the house down to the ground.

So I plan to host the "Monday Night of Originals" at Rita's for the next few months. I hope it will grow and provide a venue for the local musicians to perform their original music. If you write your own songs and want to sing them, drop by.

Here is a song that I wrote the chorus while biking ride this Sunday. I hope you like it. If you want to hear it live, come out to Rita's this Monday at 10pm. Or I can play the nerd song for you too.

I Love Sundays 2.4 megs mp3

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Herb,
Thanks again for providing us with a venue to showcase some tunes. It's been so much fun, thus far, and will without a doubt only get better, and become more of a blast.
-Chris E



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?