Tuesday, April 06, 2004

I am going to be on 'Unscrewed' to sing my Nerd song

I got a call from 'Unscrewed' yesterday and they are going to fly me out to San Francisco to be on TechTv's 'Unscrewed'to talk about my "I'm a Nerd" song.

I am still in shock. I can't believe it, when I was on 'Whatever' I was a local disaster and now I have a chance to be a national disaster. ha ha. Doing the 'Whatever' show was great and I learned a lot. We did about 400 shows before the station changed formats and we were canceled.

I couldn't have done this alone. I want to thank all of the folks that heard the song and told me they liked it. Also to all of you that have promoted the song, I will do my best to give you all a shout out.

It is weird, here I have composed about 300 compositions, from a symphony to chamber music to full band compositions, and this simple song will be my most popular piece I music that I have composed.

I can remember the night that I wrote it. It was late and earlier in the day I have played a few demos for some friends. They liked some and didn't like others, it is hard to please everyone. So as I was about to go to sleep, I got the idea to write a nerd song. This is something that I know a lot about. So I sat down and hand wrote out the lyrics. At that time I heard the melody and chords as I wrote the lyrics. So I recorded the demo of it and went to sleep. I remember thinking at the time that this is a cool song and my nerd and geek friends are going to dig it. The whole process from idea to recording the demo took about 30 minutes.

The next few days I emailed friends the mp3 of "I'm a Nerd" and all of them loved it. A few posted it on their websites and I did with mine. At this point about 100 folks had heard the song.

I also started to play it at open mike nights here in Nacogdoches. The folks that heard it live seemed to enjoy it. I have played it for a couple of months and the crowd is still digging it.

Then a friend posted it to a big computer forum and in the next few days, about 3000 people have downloaded it. It wiped out the bandwidth on one of my sites.

The hits have calmed down, but in the last two weeks, about 4000 plus folks have heard my song. This is great! About 100 people a day are still hearing it.

And now I will have the chance to have it on a National nerd tech talk show. Dreams can come true.

I am going to enjoy my 15 minutes of fame. It will be fun play a rock star for a few days. If I get a record contract like William Hung or get the nerd song in a TV or movie, watch out!!

Maybe I can open for William Hung if he goes on tour.

www.herbertmidgley.com/nerd.html
techtv.com/unscrewed
techtv.com

No comments:



Blog Archive

Do you Know Herbert Midgley?